Holiday Safety Tips – How to keep your pet safe this holiday season

TINSEL AND RIBBON – Who doesn’t love to decorate their home over the holidays or make a big bow on top of a gift box? The one thing cats love most are sparkly “toys” and anything that they can bat or chew on. Even a little nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.

POINSETTIA –Although they are a great gift or floral decoration around the house, poinsettias can be harmful to pets. While not poisonous, they are primarily a mucous-membrane irritant and can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

RAISINS AND GRAPES – There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked cookies, especially oatmeal raisin cookies. But, did you know raisins and grapes are toxic to your pet? Ingestion can cause lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and even kidney failure.

XYLITOL – Gum is a popular stocking stuffer, but can be dangerous if your  four-legged best friend decides to open your stocking early. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in most sugar-free gum and reduced-sugar peanut butter. If ingested, it can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and possibly life-threatening liver disease.